Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

I will say it once and again that I am not as Catholic as so many out there are. I simply do not have that drive to be as Catholic based on the fact that I no longer feel like I should belong to a Catholic church.

Consciously, I will still raise up my hand and give the signal that means, "In the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit," but it's just out of habit. Also, I still believe that if I don't give out the signal in a Catholic church, God will shun me for being a bad Catholic.

But with Lent coming around again, I feel as though it is time to begin the matters of giving up things for it.

One of the usual things that I give up for lent is fast food, chips, soda, and candy. I strive to pull myself forward away from the greasy delicacies and ignore the sweet tooth for forty days. Sadly, I cheat and find loopholes like, "Subway isn't fast food," and, "I can eat this because it isn't fast food."

This year, I want to do that but also so much more.

For one, I spend a lot of time on the internet, just trolling around doing nothing productive on Tumblr, facebook, YouTube, or recently 9gag. Each website has taken over my time and effort to want to work out, or find a good spot to finish reading books that I have on my shelf and whatnot.

So here is my intentions of limiting my internet leisure time. I will not be accessing my facebook, Tumblr, YouTube, or anything social media for the entire day. It isn't until I fall asleep that I will decide to check it. And even then, unless it is important to check it, I will abstain if it means that I need to sleep or do something much more productive.

In other words, I am in charge of deciding whether or not I want to read posts or see feedback or watch videos.

I know that with Youtube it is very often that I will be checking, simply because that is where I normally get my news. So, yeah, I already know I am going to rule out that possibility of abstinence towards it. The rest I feel pretty confident.

Other than quitting the majority of the media cold turkey, I decided to sacrifice all types of meat, such as pork, chicken, and beef. I will not eat anything with meat for these next 40 days.

I will also still hold out on the usual: fast food, chips, soda, and candy.

A lot on my plate, I know. But, I feel as though this challenge that I have presented on myself will better help me get focused on me and what I need to do (or not do) in order to better accomplish and go out this year with a bang. (Bang meaning I am graduating and want to make sure I have an idea what to do once done with school)

Think I can do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment