Sunday, August 12, 2012

Update for Japan and applying for Amity Aeon

Well, it has been awhile since I gave my acceptance speech, if I can even call it that.

I will be leaving the terrain of the United States on October 12, and be taking an overnight flight to Japan. I still have a long wait ahead of me to spend with loved ones by taking pictures, sharing memories, and eating yummy hamburgers and such. Even though I have been putting restrictions on me for certain days to limit my eating habits, it's not really working as well as my mother hoped. What can I say? This mouth was made to ingest delicious calories.

A little more information for those that are thinking of teaching in Japan: No, I have not began teaching, but so far, I know a bit of the acceptance process, at least for the Eikawa I have applied to.

If you decide to teach abroad in Japan, look into the hiring process, what the people want from you in the essays or paperwork that they want you to fill out. This is your first impression: on paper. As scary as that sounds, don't be afraid, suck it up and just jot down proper vocabulary, good grammar, and correct spelling. Depending on how well they liked your presentation of the essay and/or your other paperwork will determine whether or not you will be invited for a group interview.

Applying for Amity means meeting up for a group interview before you are granted a private one on one interview. What I did to prepare was read up as much as possible in the forums at Dave's ESL and had Google sitting in the passenger seat the whole time. The internet is a massive database of information, and with great power comes great information is what I learned through this trial.

First is dress code: Japan (especially if you will be going to work for an Eikawa school) likes their people to dress conservatively. This means black, navy, dark brown suits with an undershirt. Ladies, pant suits or skirts, your choice, just if you plan to wear a skirt, don't forget hosiery, and not the ones that are fishnet stockings, regular and nude. In other words, be as plain as you can be.

When going up for the group interview, you will be in a room with five other people or just three people. It all depends on how many people were invited for the interview, just be sure you have enough supplies for everyone. If you have left overs that's better than coming up short. They (the people or person that will become your future employer) will come in the room where all applicants are and begin discussing who they are as a company and what they have accomplished and even give a 10-15 minute presentation of a day in the life of an employee. Be sure to take notes throughout the entire time they are talking, don't sit there dumbfounded; look interested.

For the thirty minute lesson plan and the five minute presentation of said lesson plan, do your best. I can't really give much information on the lesson plan, so long as you don't come up short on the five minute presentation and have a clear view of what you wanted to show in the presentation from the lesson plan you should be fine.

Once everyone has done their presentation of their lesson plan, they will give you a grammar worksheet, which should not take you longer than the time given. Afterwards, they will either hand you an envelope or tell you if you will be invited for a second one on one interview.

On the one on one interview, you will be taken to a room to set up a ten minute lesson plan. On the spot, sure, but not that difficult, because it is dedicated to children. Short and simple should do the trick. Afterwards, they will tell you how you did, ask you how you think you did, and then continue with the interview process with questions like why do you want to work in Japan and such. Have a calm complexion and feel prepared to answer their questions. Show confidence mostly.

After that, you have three to four weeks of free time, so my advice is go have some fun and relax, and get ready to bite your nails after three to four weeks are done. If you have been considered for a position, you will have to submit a background check which you will pay for out of pocket, and soon after (literally for me it was the next day) you will be offered a position or an extended invitation, and put on a waiting list.

After that, it's paperwork after paperwork to send back and forth. I have no complaints so far as to how I have been treated in getting everything ready, because the people that I have been in contact with is the best. I have a question, I get on the phone, and I get the answer right away. :)

Well, that's all I got to say about Japan, the application process at Amity, and will write more in the future to keep those that are interested in teaching in Japan an open door with me.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! I found your blog through Google and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

    I'm a senior in college, about to graduate in June with a degree in English (you were also an English major, no? High five!)---am I applying too late for Amity, if I want to depart for Japan this summer? Also, how long are you planning to stay in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! Thanks for reading

    I would say yes and no. It all depends on how fast they can process your paperwork (whoa, government status huh?). I applied sometime in the middle of may and I didn't get invited for an interview until June, then after that I had to wait a month to see if I would get the job.

    Maybe they can work it faster for you, but I told them as soon as I applied and accepted the position that I wanted to leave as soon as possible. That was in July. So the earliest they could send me was in October. So, maybe not leave for the summer, maybe for the beginning of fall.

    As for me and how long I am planning on staying, I really like Japan, but I also really miss my family. But I keep thinking this is a once in a lifetime thing, why would I want to finish so soon? So, I'm thinking of riding another year out here. If not, then 6 months for sure. :)

    Good luck! And if you have any questions please feel free to ask me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    I was wondering if you knew what the pet allowances were for Amity. I am thinking of apply to Amity for next year but have my cat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Samantha!

    Unfortunately, they don't allow for you to bring animals with you. I have three dogs, and had to leave them with my parents. I miss them so terribly!

    If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What grade do you teach? Did you pay for your plane ticket? How much is rent? are you still in Japan. Would you recommend Amity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laura! Thanks for reading! So sorry that it took me a while to respond, I kind of abandoned this blog I guess. Hopefully I can get back on track with it soon!

      I teach a range of grades! There is no set grade for me. I get children as young as six months up to adults that are my students' parents.

      I did have to pay for my ticket to go. It was a bit expensive I will say. *sigh*

      Rent is fixed at 420 a month. Anything more the school will pay the difference. You will have to pay for utilities and such however.

      Yes! I will still be in Japan until October 2014.

      I would recommend Amity as a stepping stone to feel how you like living and working in Japan. After that, it is not difficult finding a job in Japan.

      Any other questions please let me know! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi saw your blog wanted to know are you in Japan still and what do you honestly have to say about them. How much US are you taking home per month and is it expensive there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Yes I am still living in Japan. What do I have to say about Amity? I don't mind it. The workload is a lot from time to time, but my students are amazing and seeing their smiling faces makes up for everything that is Amity I would think.

      As for how much, it ranges from time to time. I can send home from 1000 to 2000 it depends how much the rate is going and how much I need back home to pay for my expenses.

      Is it expensive? Well, the imported food is pretty expensive because the fruits and some vegetables they have to get from other countries and clothes are also expensive, but if you know where to shop *cough* recycle shops! *cough* you should be fine. :)

      Delete
  7. If I've been selected for the background check does that mean I have the job? I'm excited but don't know if I'm still in the middle of the process for being considered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I'm a couple of years late, but did you get to pick where you wanted to live?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. I have applied to Amity about 5 days ago and have not received an invitation to interview till now. In the auto generated email they mentioned that if a candidate is successful they will send invitation within 3 weeks. Can you kindly tell how much time did they take to send you an invitation for interview, the very first time. Also how long they took to send interview invitations to other successful applicants? 1-2 of my friends who also applied along with me, have already received an interview invitation within 48 hours. I am apprehensive since its already 5 days now. Should I consider this a closed chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there...I applied 3 weeks ago and about a week later I received an email invitation for the 1st interview. At the end of the interview, they state that it will be roughly 2 weeks time before you find out if you get a 2nd interview. I found out a week later. Tomorrow I have my 2nd interview.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete