Tuesday, October 23, 2012

First day of school. Accomplished!

Oh man, since I have internet for a while it seems appropriate to actually be blogging and such. And I have a few minutes before my walk to work so I can talk about my time in Okazaki so far.

In such a way that Japan is modern and fresh and new, there are also instances in which Japan is old and keeps to its heritage. I have been placed in the latter of the two.

Okazaki is old, and still holds a ton of old roots to their culture. I have run into more old people that anything else. But they are incredibly adorable! And of course well mannered. I have yet to have anyone give me bad looks. But this could also be due to the Asian face my mother claims I have.

I got off the train station from Okayama where I departed from my friends Deren and Richard, and said goodbye to Naomi and Mark who rode along with me. Each one of us gave each other a big hug with the hopes that after we get used to everything in our area we would meet each other again. Hopefully, Nagoya, but we still worked out anything.

I was greeted by my manager and we walked with my heavy luggage (why did I pack so much!?) towards another train station that would take us into the heart of Okazaki. As we were traveling, I asked Manager (that's what she likes being called) about the apartment.

"I am very sorry, but your apartment is very old," She said.

In all honesty, I was thinking peeling walls, spiderwebs, broken sinks, things like that. But it wasn't the case.

We took the bus, got off and walked in a straight line all the way down to a little apartment complex. White Cloud III. I heard a ruckus upstairs, and I knew that was going to be Ayumi and Alex, the NETS that I would be replacing.

My first impression of them was that they were cheerful people. Ayumi I pictured to be a little bit taller, so you should have seen my surprise when I saw her as a fun size Snicker's bar (kind of like another friend I know).

I walked in and didn't notice much other than that it was spacious! So much leg room to do so much! I didn't care about the old feel to it. I was happy with it's condition (minus a few minor details).

Anywho, they took me out both days, and I ate merrily and happily so there is a happy note of things. I will talk about it later right now I want to get to the point at hand.

My first day of work. Man, it was not as hard as training was that's for sure. I think it's because you are working with children that you need to have a feel of what you will be doing with them. Yesterday, we had to work with one of each classes that I will be teaching on a regular basis, or when Manager changes my schedule. She is already primping me for the new and old moms to observe and see if I do a good job.

One student in particular was so scared of me that he didn't want to do anything at all for activities. He just held the rattle, the abc board, and clutched it. Kind of reminded me of Emilio.

The other students were happy and participating, so I have an idea of how to continue their teaching. I just hope I don't have any babies that cry. I don't think I will be able to handle it.

Yes I can. I survived five munchkins at once, one crying one shouldn't be that tough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment