Thursday, November 11, 2010

Drips

I donated blood today. My first time too.
At first for some weird reason I was a bit scared. For one, a needle is going inside me, taking out blood, which is going out of my body. It was just terrifying to even think of when I give out blood samples when I am at the doctor's.
So Rosie and I walked straight into the student center as soon as we were done with breakouts, hoping to get the whole draining of blood over with as quick as possible. Our appointment was at 12:15, so getting there early would mean us getting out early right?
Wrong, we had to wait for the people in charge of the blood drive to direct us where we needed to go. We walked straight from one station to another, interrogated, pricked on our middle fingers to check iron levels, and finally motioned to lay down and begin the drainage.
My blood pressure was surprisingly low, lower than 120 beats when it was stolic, and less than 80 when it was diastolic.
I think the only time it really hurt was when the needle went into my arm. The constant squeezing of the tiny heart in my hand kept me from thinking about anything that was going on. And I wanted to honestly sleep on that flat bed, it wasn't comfortable or anything like that, I was just really tired.
It was all over in a matter of minutes. And the woman that took my blood even let me hold it and take a picture with it. I smiled from ear to ear and posted the pic on my tumblr. I really felt accomplished.
But now, I am sporting a minor headache, and water is filling my gut to the point that I feel like I am going to pop like a cell does when it has too much water in it (I think that's called hypotonic, thank you biology for being useful... sometimes).
Would I do it again? Would I give blood to save three more lives?
Yes, even if it gives me a huge headache. Because of this reason and this reason alone: There may come a time when I'll be needing someone else's blood, and I hope there are other selfless people out there to scratch my back when I need it.
Plus, they give out free food and a t shirt afterwards. And I love free stuff. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment