Monday, May 21, 2012

Graduate and PhD?

I had to attend my senior seminar and we had a presenter come in from previous years to discuss how the class affected her in her career and her dreams. I couldn't deny that I was fondly moved as she discussed her inward struggle as she transitioned from a nursing program towards an English degree.

It inwardly made me reassess the process of how and what I wanted to do in my life with my career. I was always so hell bent upon going into publishing and editing, because I loved critiquing other people's works and loved reading, but now, I think I would want to go more into the teaching aspect of things. More so, I still wish to teach overseas and try to help spread my love of the English language.

But now, I would also consider going into a master's program here and studying for English Literature as I mold young minds that come here. I am sure that I would still be working as a student and possibly look for another area to work in, but a master's career never really strayed from my mind. And now, I am even considering a PhD in whatever I feel like specializing in. I think, however, that I would fall into a Greek Mythology category. If not, then Humanities like this presenter did. I don't know, there was just such a fascination that I developed in those 50 minutes of class time that made me reassess what it is that I want to do now. But it was as she said, "Never underestimate what you can do."

I don't underestimate my potential to do something great with my life. I do believe that God has a plan for many people in the world to do something great with their lives if they choose to do so. Maybe the reason that I don't have anything going for me other than family is because he wants me to do something that will be achievable and overwhelmingly positive?

Maybe he wants me to go into this graduate program, still working out my life to do something amazing. Maybe I was born to be a teacher and help young minds grow profusely. Maybe I have that unhidden potential to actually do more with my life.

Or I will crash and burn. But I won't know until I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment