Thursday, March 22, 2012

One Final to go...

I am almost complete with school.

I was wanting to talk about my rejection to Oregon MFA's program, but I just felt as though I knew that the rejection was coming forth. It's not that I was being pessimistic about it; I was being realistic.

I find it hard to say that I am done with school. I want to continue studying. I always said that if I could, I would stay in school all my life. I just love to learn.

But now, that dream of joining a Master's program at Oregon is shattered, so I have other ideas that are springing to mind.

When I went to talk with my advisor, she asked what I wanted to do with my studies and what plans do I have for the near future.

"I was thinking about moving into Los Angeles with my sister and start looking for jobs that can build me in experience with publishing and editing," I said. I didn't know what else to do if I wasn't accepted to Oregon. My life line was riding on being accepted.

"If you aren't accepted, have you thought of other things besides moving to L.A? Or even applying to a Master's program in Professional Writing?"

"Yeah, but thats if I don't have to pay. I don't want to get more into debt."

"Good point," she said.

"I heard you telling a student about wanting to teach overseas, I suppose I would want to go teach in Japan for a year."

"That's great!" she said. And opened up Dave's ESL Cafe. Now I am really contemplating it.

Contemplating is a bit of an understatement. I want to do it more than anything in the world.

I love learning. What better way than to learn from someone I am teaching? Teaching is not an issue with me. I have worked with students small and students big. Teaching English, although challenging, just excites me to the point I am oozing with the possibility of actually being accepted to teach overseas. If the MFA program didn't work out, there has to be a reason. This could be that reason. Or moving to LA, but I am opting for the more adventurous one.

Fingers are crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment