Thursday, January 26, 2012

I had the strangest and most determined interaction yesterday that I thought I would like to share.

Yesterday, as the day was finally drawing to a close in my work force (at least for me anyways), a student came by and dropped off an application for any position available here in my work (which names and places I will mention...stalkers are everywhere).

When he handed it in to me, I simply did what I always do: punched it with the letter heard that says I received their application and slipped it into my director's inbox for the next time she is going through applications.

"So now what?" he asked.

"We will let you know in about a week or two if we have any openings for you," I responded calmly.

"Is there someone I can talk to right now?"

"Our director is normally the one that handles the applications, and she will let you know in 1 to 2 weeks whether or not we are interested in hiring you."

"So, she isn't in?" he deduced.

"She is," I said, "But I believe she is busy at the moment."

"Okay then, can I schedule a moment to speak with her?" he asked.

I was surprised at his determination and decided to open my director's schedule, even though I felt this was in a sense a waste of time. After filing out the information I decided to see if my director could see the student just for a quick second. She agreed and walked out of her office to see a tall almost 6'6" white male towering over her 5'3" (I am just assuming she is taller than me. For all I know she could be as small as me) figure.

She let him down easily, but that also didn't discourage him. He was willingly determined to get a job, which was something, as I mentioned before, I had to admire.

"The only job we have is working as a reader and scribe, which is on call basis only."

"Okay, I'll take it."

I grabbed his file and added him to the growing list of students looking to work here and filled him in the time preferences.

If anyone wants a job, you have to be determined. Made me give an insight into how I should be approaching my status as an office assistant, and in the future.

Determined, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment